It should come as no surprise that the most wonderful time of the year is also one of the most dangerous for online shoppers.
In 2017, Black Friday and Cyber Monday accounted for nearly 11 percent of all U.S. holiday sales online. And, between November and December, online spending reached over $106 billion. It’s projected that 2018 spending will exceed $123 billion – more than $2 billion per day!
All of this eCommerce activity has presented hackers, scammers, and identity thieves with a prime opportunity to trick people into revealing personal or financial information. During the 2017 holiday season, 1 out of every 85 transactions was a fraudulent attempt, according to benchmark data from ACI Worldwide.
For anyone shopping online, during the holidays or otherwise, it’s critical to remain vigilant and remember that if something seems too good to be true, it probably is. Here are some tools and tips to stay safe, as well as scams for you to keep an eye out for this holiday season.
Resources to Stay Protected While Online Shopping:
- Holiday Hacking and Online Shopping Security Risks
- Help Prevent Identity Theft & Cyber Monday Scams
- Online Shopping: Identity Theft Risks and Prevention Tips
- Protect Your Identity During Your Online Holiday Shopping
- 3 Holiday Scams on the Naughty List
- Five Tips to Ensure a Safe Holiday Shopping Season