How to Protect Your Identity on Facebook
Facebook allows other people and companies to access your information in ways most users don’t understand. And with their ever-changing policies, only you can take steps to proactively minimize your risk:
- Limit the amount of personal information you post (full name, date of birth, where you live, names of family members, email addresses, phone numbers).
- “Apps” are very intrusive because they expose your profile and personal information. Delete any profiles you don’t use.
- Remove your profile from search engines by using your “Privacy Settings.”
- Control “tagging” in photos and videos so they’re only visible to you.
- Review the “Privacy” on your photo albums.
- Use “Custom Privacy” settings and set up “lists” to organize your friends (work, family, etc.) so you can selectively share your posts and limit who sees what.